Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hahaha - Fun Home

I spazzed and entered my Blankets#1 blog, when I should have been posting my Fun Home blog.

Ah, well.  Even upper-classmen do such things.

As far as Fun Home goes - this story absolutely grips me immediately.  There are many reasons for this.  I am attracted to stories about gay youth - especially the struggle with coming out.  With this story, though, the pictures are endearing, and somehow familiar.  I feel like I know these characters - or at least the archetypes that some come to represent.

McCloud discusses the iconography of images - and how icons can represent much more than just a person - or any other noun.  I wonder: do any of you feel more familiar with a comic-style character than a run-of-the-mill literary character?  Why or why not?  Do you agree with McCloud that an icon is easier to identify with - or do you relate more to a realistic person/image/character?

Also - is the subject matter of this reading difficult for any of you?  Feel free to email me if you have any issues you want to discuss.

No comments: