Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Death in Comics

I am surprised at how powerful a graphic novel can be.  Previous to reading the materials for this class, I had passing affairs with graphic novels.  Maus was introduced to us while studying the holocaust in junior high, and in high school I fell in love with a comic book character called "Jonny the Homicidal Maniac."  Both of these dealt with death - in the case of the first - so seriously, and about a topic I was very familiar with.  In the case of the "Jonny" books - the death (and maiming, disemboweling, etc.) was used as more of a metaphor - and was there for entertainment value.

In "Fun Home" - Alison Bechdel shows us a death that is very real, and it hits home for me.  This memoir makes me think about "big picture" things - like meaning in life.  Her use of color intrigues me, as does her casual, almost child-like drawing style.  I am absorbed immediately in her world.  I think one of her strongest points is her transitions - which do you think are the most effective? 

No comments: