I used all of your ideas and a few of my own. Some are full theses, others are just random thoughts - to try and stimulate your imagination!
- Throughout Fun Home and Blankets, the authors use illustration very differently to convey emotion.
- The parent-child relationships in both books are represented in very different ways.
- Thompson's whimsical, dream-like (or, Bechdel's realistic, textual) illustrations are far more effective as tools to tell a story.
- Thompson's memoir is almost timeless, while Bechdel's is fixed.
- Bechdel portrays herself realistically, while Thompson's self-portrayal was abstract. (You may want to expand on this one.)
- Being less/more abstract, Bechdel's/Thompson's illustrations do a better job of portraying emotion/movement/a sense of time.
- The abstract nature of Thompson's illustrations and poetic language create a dream-like atmosphere, while Bechdel's detailed, realistic panels suggest a more solid reality.
- Think about the differences/similarities in how the two authors portray:
- Authority Figures
- The Written Word (Representations of Text)