Thursday, September 18, 2008

Never Forget

I loved Richards' ability to describe her family's homes with such accuracy that I have no problems picturing them in my head.  Not only that - but her imagery in general was amazing.  From the rain thrumming against the roof, to the tabby cat stretched on her grandfather's stomach - her images were clear and vivid.  Like the prof said - it's good to try to use all of the senses when describing, and Richards does this excellently.

I also loved the positive tone of this piece.  Usually, a narrative about senility/alzhiemers would be a downer all the way through.  This piece, though, was nostalgic and strangely hopeful, and I thought it was an excellent choice.  It took what might have been a stale story, and made it lovely and engaging.

What did you think?  Did you like the narrator?  Do you agree that she kept the story from being boring?  Did you like the surprise of the baby monitor being for an 89-year-old woman?

No comments: