Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Blankets

The writing of this book, apart from the graphic aspects, to me is kind of mediocre.  The story is one that I might never give a second look in a bookstore.  Yet - coupled with the images inked by the author, the story takes on a kind of life that appeals.

The black and white color scheme is stark and theatrical.  It lends gravity to what otherwise might have been a bit of a weak plot, in my opinion.

I think that the main character would not have nearly enough strength without the visual imagery.  As a challenge, for the next post, I am considering picking a particularly strong illustration and trying to recreate it in words.  It won't be too difficult to describe or summarize, but I want to know more about what visual images/icons can easily portray - that might be hard to replicate with words alone.

Did any of you notice parts of the story so far that would have had less power or realism without pictures?

No comments: