Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ashes to Ashes

What struck me first when comparing the two readings for today was the very different ways in which the authors attempt (successfully, I feel) to connect with their readers.  While Sedaris is extremely proficient with the comedy medium, Strayed's story is distinctly unfunny.  I think both pieces adequately portray the authors' sorrow and sense of loss, but which do you think is more effective?

For me, it comes down to a difference between showing and telling.  What I have always loved about David Sedaris' work is that he rarely just bluntly states what he's trying to get across - instead showing us scenes from his life and requiring the readers to draw their own conclusions.  A great moment in "Ashes" occurs at the end - where the author and his sister are smoking pot in a cemetery, thinking about their mother's impending death.  This appeals to me.  The way he describes their thoughtlessness appeals to me for two reasons.  One is that he doesn't hit you over the head with a moral.  He doesn't warn us to spend more time with those we love, or any such nonsense.  He just offers up his experience for our benefit.  The second reason is that as a bit of an escapist myself, I can completely identify with his desire to drink and smoke, and leave the actual "dealing" for later.

I can also see connections between myself and Strayed - although I am happy to say that I have never found myself in her particular position.  Plot aside, she also uses some striking scenes to show the reader her pain - but at the same time she constantly tries to accurately describe it.  In the honors seminar that I am taking with Dr. Nels this semester, we discussed last class the idea that pain not only defies language, but actively destroys it - nullifying one's ability to truly describe ones own pain, or conversely, understand other peoples'.  Thoughts?

(Also: note the similarities between the non-ending of Strayed as compared with the dissatisfaction many of you felt about Tuesday's reading.)

No comments: